ENVIRONMENT AND SUSTAINABILITY HEADLINESEnvironment and Sustainability
ArcelorMittal Ostrava Donates Waste Heat to Neighboring Town
Feb. 27, 2012
ArcelorMittal Ostrava reports that around 500 households in the town of Vratimov, which has a population of nearly 7000 inhabitants, are heated ecologically by its waste heat. As a result, Vratimov was able to shut down all of the town‘s boiler stations burning fossil fuels.
“The annual heat supply for Vratimov amounts to approx. 35,000 GJ. It is a most ecological heating source as 80% of the supply is waste heat generated by combustion boilers at the medium-section rolling mill. The remaining 20% comes from the ArcelorMittal Energy Ostrava heating plant, especially in winter,” said Juraj Lištvan, head of Sales and Energy Management Department at ArcelorMittal Ostrava.
The idea of exploiting waste heat generated by combustion boilers at the medium-section rolling mill originated in 1994 already. A joint company Teplo Vratimov was founded in which the then Nová huť had a 50% share. A fixed-term contract for delivery of heating energy until the end of 2011 was signed in 1996. ArcelorMittal's share in Teplo Vratimov was sold to the town of Vratimov in 2009.
The existing contract including the prices for delivery and the heating energy was prolonged via a subcontract for 2012. A long-term prolongation of the contract is currently under negotiation.
ArcelorMittal Ostrava a.s. is the largest metallurgy company in the Czech Republic and belongs to the world’s largest steel group ArcelorMittal. Its annual production is 3 million tonnes of steel; about 50% of the production is exported to more than 80 countries worldwide. It employs nearly 5000 people, together with its subsidiaries nearly 9000 people.
ArcelorMittal Energy Ostrava s.r.o. represents a complicated and extensive energy complex of industrial power supply, with specific focus on the needs of metallurgical enterprise. A major part of the energy media supplies is directed from ArcelorMittal Energy Ostrava s.r.o. to other plants of ArcelorMittal Ostrava.