WORLD PRODUCTION HEADLINESWorld Production
August Steel Shipments up 7.4% from Last Year
Oct. 30, 2006
Oct. 30, 2006 — U.S. steel mills shipped 9,591,000 net tons of steel in August 2006, according to the latest report from the American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI).
Total shipments reflect a 7.4% increase from the 8,933,000 net tons shipped in August 2005, and a 6.4% increase from the 9,016,000 net tons shipped in the previous month, July 2006.
A year-to-year comparison of year-to-date shipments shows the following changes within major market classifications:
- Service centers and distributors, +7.3%
- Automotive, +15.7%
- Construction and contractors’ products, +13.7%
- Oil and gas, +10.2%
- Machinery, industrial equipment and tools, +9.2%
- Appliances, utensils and cutlery, –3.4%
- Containers, packaging and shipping materials, +5.1%
- Electrical equipment, +22.0%
AISI serves as the voice of the North American steel industry in the public policy arena and advances the case for steel in the marketplace as the preferred material of choice. AISI also plays a lead role in the development and application of new steels and steelmaking technology.